18. Oktober 1944

18. Oktober 1944


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

18. Oktober 1944

Krieg auf See

Die Royal Navy besetzt Scarpanto und Santorini

Ein Flugzeug von No.540 Squadron, bemannt von Ft Lt Hubert Charles Sidney "Sandy" Powell und Ft Sgt Joe Townsend, fotografiert die Tirpitz und Tromso, was frühere Geheimdienstberichte bestätigt. Powell erhielt den DFC für den Flug. Ein Angriff auf sie am 29. Oktober scheiterte, aber ein zweiter RAF-Angriff am 12. November versenkte schließlich die Tirpitz.

Griechenland

Die griechische Regierung kehrt aus dem Exil nach Athen zurück

Deutschland

Die verbleibenden Deutschen zwischen 16 und 60 Jahren werden in die eingeschrieben Volkssturm

China

General Stilwell wird angewiesen, in die Vereinigten Staaten zurückzukehren

Pazifik

Die japanische Regierung befiehlt eine große Gegenoffensive mit dem Decknamen "Sho"



Ereignisse vom 18. Oktober 1944

Ich war beim 94. Field Regt. RA, der kurz nach dem D-Day in die Normandie ging und unseren Weg durch Frankreich, Belgien und Hollan machte, wo wir an der Schlacht von Arnheim teilnahmen. Nach zwei Wochen in Elat zogen wir nach Süden an die deutsche Grenze nahe dem Reichsfelder Forst, wo wir noch viel zu schießen hatten. Aber eines Nachmittags kam der Befehl, dass sich alle Nr. 1 beim Kommandoposten melden sollten, also ging ich als Verantwortlicher für die Nr Brüssel für einen Mann pro Abschnitt, um einen Sgt. von uns vier. Es ging also darum, Lose zu ziehen. Ich war am meisten überrascht, als ich gewann und meine Jungs sagten, ich hätte es wohl gefummelt, also sagte ich, um den Frieden zu wahren, würde ich die ganze Nacht Dienst tun.
Als der morgendliche 'Stand-to' vorüber war, machte ich mich auf den Weg zum hinteren Ende der Position, wo der Küchenwagen mit dem Frühstück auf alle Jungs wartete. Nun, das Frühstück bestand aus "Porridge" (das war ein harter Keks, der zerkleinert und in Wasser gekocht wurde, um wie Brei auszusehen). Ich war an der Reihe und der Koch goss meinen in meinen Dixie, ich erinnere mich, wie er auf den Boden rutschte, als alles schwarz wurde. Als ich aufwachte, lag ich auf dem Boden mit meinen Füßen fast in einem riesigen Feuer! Ich versuchte aufzustehen, konnte aber nicht so wegkriechen, immer noch nicht wissend, was passiert war. Offenbar landete eine Granate auf dem Lastwagen und das Ganze wurde in Stücke gesprengt. Zwei Männer wurden getötet, neun wurden verletzt und zwei starben später im Krankenhaus. Als ich schließlich den Erste-Hilfe-Posten erreichte, stellte ich fest, dass ich acht Mal getroffen worden war, ein ziemlich hässliches Stück quetschte meinen Knöchel und nahm einen Teil meines Stiefels und einen großen Fleischklumpen weg, drei weitere in den fleischigen Teil meiner Beine und vier kleine Stücke, die sich selbst überlassen wurden.
Vier von uns wurden mit einem Krankenwagen in das Nijmegan Hospital gebracht, das von britischen und deutschen Mitarbeitern betrieben wurde. Ich wurde in eine bereits vollbesetzte Abteilung gebracht, aber ich hatte eine Bahre zwischen zwei Betten, wo wir uns fast berührten. Mein Zustand war nicht lebensbedrohlich, daher wurde an diesem Tag keine Behandlung durchgeführt. In der Nacht eröffnete der Feind mit Langstreckengeschützen das Feuer und beschoss die Station, in der ich mich befand. Das Dach brach ein, und wir waren in Schutt und Asche gelegt. Der Kerl neben mir wurde getötet, aber sie haben mich mit ein paar weiteren blauen Flecken herausgezogen!
In Krankenwagen fuhren wir wieder zurück nach Eindhoven, wo wir von Nonnen betreut wurden. Sie waren sehr gut zu uns und taten, was sie konnten, aber es gab keine medizinische Versorgung.
Dies war der Beginn meiner langen Heimreise.

© Das Urheberrecht der zu diesem Archiv beigetragenen Inhalte liegt beim Autor. Finden Sie heraus, wie Sie dies nutzen können.

Diese Geschichte wurde in die folgenden Kategorien eingeordnet.

Die meisten Inhalte auf dieser Website werden von unseren Benutzern erstellt, die Mitglieder der Öffentlichkeit sind. Die geäußerten Ansichten sind ihre und, sofern nicht ausdrücklich angegeben, nicht die der BBC. Die BBC ist nicht verantwortlich für den Inhalt externer Websites, auf die verwiesen wird. Falls Sie der Meinung sind, dass etwas auf dieser Seite gegen die Hausordnung der Website verstößt, klicken Sie bitte hier. Für weitere Kommentare kontaktieren Sie uns bitte.


Oktober 1944

Die C-Truppe kam nach sechzig Tagen ununterbrochenen Fahrens und Kämpfens am dritten Oktobertag in Lenoncourt, Frankreich, zu einer wohlverdienten Ruhepause an. Lenoncourt war klein, eine dieser ländlichen Städte mit Misthaufen, dem französischen Zeichen des Reichtums, die sich in keiner Weise von den unzähligen anderen Dörfern unterschieden, die im Laufe der fast 500 Meilen zurückgelegt wurden, die seit dem 3. Karte I)(Karte 15).

In Lenoncourt war die Truppe in Scheunen einquartiert und jeder Zug hatte seinen eigenen Koch. Das Wetter begann kalt zu werden, der Wind wehte und die Tage waren normalerweise nass. Acht Tage lang ruhten wir uns in der Stadt aus, gingen zu nächtlichen Shows im Squadron CP, zogen keine Wache und hatten viel zu essen.

Am 11. Oktober verließ die Truppe Lenoncourt in Richtung Parroy (Karte 29a)(Karte OHW). In Henamenil, in der Nähe unseres Ziels, wurde entdeckt, dass die Straße nach Parroy stark vermint war. Da die Entfernung zu viel Zeit in Anspruch nehmen würde, stieg die Truppe ab und ging zu Fuß voran, um die Stadt zu besetzen, um die C-Truppe von der 42d zu entlasten. In den Wäldern östlich der Stadt wurden Außenposten errichtet, und zwei Tage lang blieb es ruhig, obwohl unsere abgesessenen Patrouillen die Wälder in der Umgebung durchkämmten.

Am 13. begann die feindliche Artillerie, auf Parroy einzuschießen. S/Sgt. Prübstle, Zug Sgt. des zweiten Zugs, wurde verwundet, als eine Granate das Quartier des Zugs traf. (Hinweis: Eine erbeutete feindliche Artilleriekarte hatte eine Konzentrationsnummer auf dem CP in Parroy.) Eine vierköpfige Patrouille wurde ausgesandt, um feindliche Stellungen zu entdecken, lief in ein Maschinengewehrnest und nur ein Mann kehrte zurück. Pvt. DeFeo. Später an diesem Tag bemerkte einer der Außenposten einige deutsche Soldaten, die einen Mann in einer Unterstandshälfte trugen, und stellte nach einem Waffenstillstand fest, dass sie zwei Mitglieder der Patrouille zurückbringen wollten. Sgt. Thompson und Pvt. Reidle. Thompson, der Patrouillenführer, und Reidle wurden nach einer halbstündigen Waffenruhe unseren Sanitätern übergeben. Pvt. Friedrich Idzior, das vierte Mitglied der Patrouille, wurde nie gefunden und wurde als vermisst gemeldet.

In den nächsten vier Tagen wurden weitere Patrouillen ausgesandt, von denen die meisten feindliches Feuer auf sich zogen, aber während des Zeitraums nur einen Verlust erlitten. S/Sgt. Douglas, der verwundet wurde.

Die Truppe wurde am Morgen des 18. von der 42. abgelöst und für eine Ruhepause nach Bathelmont (Karte 29a) zurückgezogen.

Im Gruppenbericht vom 19. Oktober wird vermerkt, dass “Truppe A, 42. Eskadron, dem 328. Infanterie-Regiment angegliedert war”. Am 20. zog “die 42. Staffel, um die Anhöhe auf dem Bergrücken von Moncourt zu besetzen, bis die 26. Division Moncourt angriff (Karte 29a)(OHW). Das Geschwader griff in Verbindung mit dem 104. Infanterieregiment im Norden und dem 121. Kavalleriegeschwader im Süden an. (Anmerkung: “ Hambone ” Woods (Karte OHW) wurde bei diesem Vorstoß am 20. Oktober eingenommen. C Truppe griff rechts nach Osten an. B passierte und griff nach Norden bis Bois Frontiere (Karte OHW) an.


Heute in der Geschichte des Zweiten Weltkriegs – 18. September 1939 & 1944

Vor 80 Jahren – 18. September 1939: Deutsche und sowjetische Truppen verbinden sich in Brest-Litowsk, Polen.

Polnische Kryptographen fliehen mit wichtigen Informationen über deutsche Enigma-Codes nach Paris.

Einwohner von Eindhoven, Niederlande, tanzen auf dem Marktplatz nach der Befreiung, 20. September 1944 (Imperial War Museum 4905-03 TR 2369)

Vor 75 Jahren – Sept. 18, 1944: In der Operation Market Garden verbinden sich britische Bodentruppen mit der 101. US-Luftlandedivision in Eindhoven, Holland.

Die neunte US-Armee nimmt den wichtigen Hafen von Brest in Frankreich ein.

Südlich von Sumatra, sub HMS Passatwind versenkt japanisches Armeefrachtschiff Junyo Maru 5620 Tote, darunter javanische Zwangsarbeiter und 1477 alliierte Kriegsgefangene, der bisher schlimmste Seeverlust in der Geschichte.

US-Truppen kämpfen in Brest, Bretagne, Frankreich, September 1944 (US Army Center of Military History)


Dieser Tag in der schwarzen Geschichte: 18. Oktober 1944


Am 18. Oktober 1944 wurde dem Schauspieler und Bürgerrechtler Paul Robeson die Spingarn-Medaille der National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) für seine künstlerischen Leistungen verliehen.

Roberon wurde am 9. April 1898 in Princeton, New Jersey, geboren. Er wurde einer der prominentesten Darsteller der Harlem Renaissance und trat in vielen Produktionen auf, darunter Der Kaiser Jones und Alle Chillun Gottes haben Flügel.

Als Sohn eines entflohenen Sklaven sprach sich Robeson aktiv gegen Rassismus aus und engagierte sich tief in der Bürgerrechtsbewegung. Seine Weigerung, seine Überzeugungen öffentlich zu tadeln, führte dazu, dass er in den 1940er und 1950er Jahren aus Filmen auf die schwarze Liste gesetzt wurde.

Am 23. Januar 1976 starb Robeson im Alter von 77 Jahren nach einem Schlaganfall.


BET National News - Bleiben Sie auf dem Laufenden mit aktuellen Nachrichten aus der ganzen Nation, einschließlich Schlagzeilen aus der Hip-Hop- und Unterhaltungswelt. Klicken Sie hier, um unseren Newsletter zu abonnieren.


Dieser Tag in der schwarzen Geschichte: 18. Oktober 1944


Am 18. Oktober 1944 wurde dem Schauspieler und Bürgerrechtler Paul Robeson die Spingarn-Medaille der National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) für seine künstlerischen Leistungen verliehen.

Roberon wurde am 9. April 1898 in Princeton, New Jersey, geboren. Er wurde einer der prominentesten Darsteller der Harlem Renaissance und trat in vielen Produktionen auf, darunter Der Kaiser Jones und Alle Chillun Gottes haben Flügel.

Als Sohn eines entflohenen Sklaven sprach sich Robeson aktiv gegen Rassismus aus und engagierte sich tief in der Bürgerrechtsbewegung. Seine Weigerung, seine Überzeugungen öffentlich zu tadeln, führte dazu, dass er in den 1940er und 1950er Jahren aus Filmen auf die schwarze Liste gesetzt wurde.

Am 23. Januar 1976 starb Robeson im Alter von 77 Jahren nach einem Schlaganfall.


BET National News - Bleiben Sie auf dem Laufenden mit aktuellen Nachrichten aus der ganzen Nation, einschließlich Schlagzeilen aus der Hip-Hop- und Unterhaltungswelt. Klicken Sie hier, um unseren Newsletter zu abonnieren.


Kubanische Präsidenten

Der erste Kubaner, der das Amt des Präsidenten innehatte, war Carlos Manuel de Céspedes y Castillo. Er wurde gewählt, nachdem er seine Sklaven befreit und den ersten Krieg für die kubanische Unabhängigkeit begonnen hatte, der heute als Zehnjähriger Krieg bekannt ist.

Der Verfassungskonvent, der in Guaimaro (10. April 1869) wählte de Céacutespedes nicht nur zum ersten Präsidenten Kubas, sondern Artikel 24 der auf dieser Sitzung verabschiedeten Verfassung beendete auch die Praxis der Sklaverei in Kuba. (Natürlich erstreckte sich ihre Autorität nur auf Gebiete, die von den Rebellen kontrolliert wurden, und erst im Oktober 1886 wurde die Sklaverei in Kuba legal beendet.)

Die kubanischen Rebellen hatten vor der Zehnjähriger Krieg kam es 1878 zu einer Pattsituation, und weder das spanische Imperium noch die US-Regierung erkannten einen dieser Präsidenten an, noch das Recht der Kubaner, ihre eigene Regierung zu definieren.

  • Kubanische Präsidenten während des Zehnjährigen Krieges
    - Carlos Manuel de Céspedes y Castillo (12. April 1869 - 27. Oktober 1873)
    - Salvador Cisneros Betancourt (27. Oktober 1873 - 28. Juni 1875)
    - Juan Bautista Spotorno (1. Juli 1875 - 29. März 1876)
    - Tomás Estrada Palma (29. März 1876 - 19. Oktober 1877)
    - Francisco Javier de Jesús (19. Oktober - 13. Dezember 1877)
    - Vicente Garcia y Gonzalez (13. Dezember 1877 - 10. Februar 1878)
  • Kubanische Präsidenten während des Unabhängigkeitskrieges (1895-1898)
    - José Martí y Pérez (5. Mai 1895 - 19. Mai 1895)
    - Salvador Cisneros Betancourt (16. September 1895 - 30. Oktober 1897)
    - Bartolomé Masó Márquez (30. Oktober 1897 - 7. November 1898)
  • Amerikanische Gouverneure während der militärischen Besetzungen von 1898 und 1906
    - John Rutter Brooke (1. Januar - 23. Dezember 1899)
    - Leonard Wood (23. Dezember 1899 - 20. Mai 1902)
    - William Howard Taft (29. September - 13. Oktober 1906)
    - Charles Edward Magoon (13. Oktober 1906 - 28. Januar 1909)
  • Präsidenten der Kubanischen Republik
    - Tomas Estrada Palma (20. Mai 1902 - 28. September 1906)
    - 2. Militärische Besatzung (1906-1909)
    - José Miguel Goacutemez (28. Januar 1909 - 20. Mai 1913)
    - Aurelio Mario García Menocal (20. Mai 1913 - 20. Mai 1921)
    - Alfredo Zayas Alfonso (20. Mai 1921 - 20. Mai 1925)
    - Gerardo Machado y Morales (20. Mai 1925 - 12. August 1933)
    - Carlos Manuel de Ceacutespedes Quesada (12. August - 4. September 1933)
    - Ramon Grau San Martín (4. September 1933 - 15. Januar 1934)
    - Carlos Hevia y de los Reyes (15. Januar - 18. Januar 1934)
    - Carlos Manuel Marquez Sterling (18. Januar - 18. Januar 1934)
    - Carlos Mendieta y Montefur (18. Januar 1934 - 11. Dezember 1935)
    - José A. Barnet y Vinajeras (11. Dezember 1935 - 20. Mai 1936)
    - Miguel Mariano Gómez (20. Mai 1936 - 23. Dezember 1936)
    - Federico Laredo Bru (23. Dezember 1936 - 10. Oktober 1940)
    - Fulgencio Batista y Zaldivar (10. Oktober 1940 - 10. Oktober 1944)
    - Ramón Grau San Martin (10. Oktober 1944 - 10. Oktober 1948)
    - Carlos Prío Socarrás (10. Oktober 1948 - 10. März 1952)

Die Nutzung dieser Site setzt die vollständige Zustimmung zu den Bedingungen voraus, unter denen diese Site verfügbar ist.


1944 - Oswald Avery identifiziert die DNA als „transformierendes Prinzip“

In den 1940er Jahren hatte sich das Wissen der Wissenschaftler über die Prinzipien der Vererbung erheblich weiterentwickelt - Gene waren bekanntermaßen die einzelnen Einheiten der Vererbung und bildeten die Enzyme, die die Stoffwechselfunktionen steuerten. Allerdings wurde erst 1944 die Desoxyribonukleinsäure (DNA) als „umwandelndes Prinzip“ identifiziert.

Den Durchbruch schaffte Oswald Avery, Immunchemiker am Krankenhaus des Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research. Avery hatte viele Jahre mit dem für Lungenentzündungen verantwortlichen Bakterium Pneumokokken gearbeitet und herausgefunden, dass, wenn eine lebende, aber harmlose Form von Pneumokokken mit einer inerten, aber tödlichen Form vermischt würde, die harmlosen Bakterien bald tödlich werden würden.

Entschlossen herauszufinden, welche Substanz für die Umwandlung verantwortlich ist, schloss er sich mit Colin MacLeod und Maclyn McCarty zusammen und begann, 20 Liter Bakterien zu reinigen. Er stellte bald fest, dass es sich bei der Substanz nicht um ein Protein oder Kohlenhydrat, sondern um eine Nukleinsäure zu handeln schien, und bei weiterer Analyse stellte sich heraus, dass es sich um DNA handelte.

1944 veröffentlichten Avery und seine Kollegen nach langem Überlegen einen Artikel im Journal of Experimental Medicine, in dem sie die Natur der DNA als „transformierendes Prinzip“ skizzierten. Obwohl das Papier zu dieser Zeit von Genetikern nicht allgemein gelesen wurde, inspirierte es weitere Forschungen und ebnete den Weg für eine der größten Entdeckungen des 20. Jahrhunderts.


Herrenhäuser und andere Ländereien, p. 184. Wirtschaftsgeschichte, p. 197. Sümpfe, p. 203. Wald, p. 204. Lokale Regierung und Armenhilfe bis 1836, p. 205. Lokale Regierung nach 1836, p. 208. Öffentliche Dienste, p. 211. Parlamentarische Vertretung, p. 214. Kirchen, p. 214. Römischer Katholizismus, p. 223. Protestantische Nichtkonformität, p. 223. Judentum, p. 233. Bildung, p. 233. Wohltätigkeitsorganisationen für die Armen, p. 239.

Leyton, der „Tun“ am Fluss Lea, liegt etwa 8 km nordöstlich von London zwischen dem Fluss und dem Epping Forest. Es ist Teil des Londoner Stadtteils Waltham Forest. (Fn. 1) Es ist hauptsächlich ein Wohnheimvorort mit kleinen Häusern, die zwischen 1870 und 1910 gebaut wurden und von modernen Block- und Turmhäusern durchsetzt sind. Die Industrie ist verstreut, abgesehen vom Eisenbahnkomplex Temple Mills im Südwesten und einer Konzentration von Fabriken im Nordwesten. Die alte Gemeinde war als Low Leyton bekannt, weil ein Teil davon in der Nähe der Lea lag. Im Jahr 1868 stimmten die Direktoren der Great Eastern Railway auf Ersuchen der Sakristei der Umbenennung des Bahnhofs von Low Leyton in „Leyton“ zu. (Fn. 2) Die Zivilgemeinde blieb Low Leyton bis 1921, als die Vorsilbe weggefallen war. (Fn. 3) Die Gemeinde war von Norden nach Süden etwa 2 Meilen lang. Seine nördliche Grenze, die mit Walthamstow geteilt wird, verlief 5 km vom Wald zum Fluss, von Forest Rise bis Whipps Cross, entlang des Chestnut Walk (heute Teil der Lea Bridge Road), dann auf der Linie der modernen Boundary Road zum Mark House. und weiter zum Fluss in der Nähe von Mount Wharf. (Fn. 4) Eine Vermutung, dass diese lange gerade Grenze mit der Linie einer ehemaligen Römerstraße (Fn. 5) zusammenfallen könnte, wurde durch archäologische Beweise nicht bestätigt. Die Ostgrenze marschierte mit Wanstead südwärts, umging den Eagle Pond und Bushwood in Wanstead zur Tinkers Lane (Harrow Road). Der Wanstead-Graben bildete die südliche Grenze zu Wanstead und West Ham. Die Westgrenze folgte dem alten Lauf des Flusses Lea, wie er existierte, bevor die Lea Navigation ihn 1767 umging (Fn. 6) von Mount Wharf nach Süden bis zur Gabelung im Fluss, wo die Grenze entlang der Temple Mills bis Temple Mills weiterging oder Lead Mill stream. Dieser war 1602 als Shire Stream bekannt (Fn. 7) und nach 1835 als Waterworks River entlang der Quartermile Lane, wurde aber 1952 zugeschüttet. Ein kleines Stück Hackney liegt auf der Ostseite des Flusses etwas oberhalb Lea Brücke.

Stadtbezirk Leyton. Oder, drei Chevronel-Gules, auf einem Haupt-Gules ein Löwe passant, oder.

Die alte Pfarrei umfasste 2.271 a. Sein nördlichster Teil, 588 v. Chr., wurde durch den Walthamstow Slip vom Rest getrennt. Dieser 3 Meilen lange Korridor, der zur Gemeinde Walthamstow gehörte, variierte in der Breite von etwa 50 bis 100 Yards (Fn. 8) und enthielt 98a. Sein Ursprung ist ungewiss, obwohl verschiedene Traditionen existieren. (Fn. 9) Es verlief vom Eagle Pond, hinter Forest House, über King's End (Leyton Green), südlich der Capworth Street, durch das Gelände von Leyton House, bis zum Fluss direkt unterhalb des Horse and Groom. Auf Karten von 1699 und später (Fn. 10) wird es querfeldein von Markierung zu Markierung gezeigt, normalerweise unabhängig von natürlichen Grenzen. Es ist nicht bekannt, ob der Slip von Leyton oder der nördliche Teil von Leyton von Walthamstow abgelöst wurde und diesen schmalen Überrest im Süden zurückließ. Da der Slip jedoch ein Teil des Walthamstow Tony Manor war (Fn. 11), stammt die Verbindung seines Zehnten mit der Gemeinde Walthamstow wahrscheinlich aus dem frühen 12. Jahrhundert, als Walthamstow Manor, Kirche und Zehnte von Ralph de Tony und seiner Frau Alice gehalten wurden . (Fn. 12) Die Grenzmarkierungen des Slips wurden oft umstritten oder, wie 1723, bewusst verändert. (Fn. 13) Im Jahr 1858 stellte Leyton Walthamstows Versuch in Frage, seinen Weg durch den wertvollsten Teil der Filterbetten der Wasserwerksgesellschaft zu etablieren. (Fn. 14) 1873 umfasste der neu gegründete städtische Sanitärbezirk von Leyton den Slip, der 1878 ebenfalls mit der Zivilgemeinde Leyton zusammengelegt wurde. (Fn. 15) Der Wanstead Slip (ca. 207 v.) wurde dem Bezirk 1875 hinzugefügt, bildete aber 1894 eine eigene bürgerliche Gemeinde (Cann Hall). (Fn. 16) Kleinere Grenzanpassungen mit Wanstead folgten 1887 und 1900. Leyton wurde 1926 ein Stadtbezirk. 1961 betrug seine Fläche 2.595 a. (Fn. 17) Es wurde 1965 Teil von Waltham Forest, dem Jahr, das für die meisten Zwecke als Endpunkt dieses Artikels gilt.

Leyton erhebt sich aus dem Marschland des Lea Valley auf über 30 m bei Whipps Cross und dem High Stone am Waldrand. (Fn. 18) Zwischen den Auen und dem Wald liegen Terrassen aus Talschotter, die über Ziegelerde liegen. (Fn. 19) Durch die Gemeinde verlaufen drei Hauptwasserläufe. Der Wanstead-Graben, auch als River Holt bekannt, trat von Walthamstow im äußersten Nordosten in die Gemeinde ein, überquerte Wanstead oberhalb des High Stone, tauchte in Leyspring wieder auf und floss nach Süden zur Tinkers Lane und dann südwestlich von Sauls Green nach Holloway Unten und westlich nach Temple Mills. (Fn. 20) Einst ein offener Abwasserkanal (Fn. 21) wird er nun durchgeleitet. Der Phillebrook oder Fillebrook, 'Phepes Broke' im Jahr 1537 (Fn. 22) drang von Walthamstow westlich von Whipps Cross in Leyton ein und floss nach Süden und Südwesten, um westlich von Ruckholts in den Dagenham-Bach zu münden. Im Jahr 1868 war es noch geöffnet (Fn. 23), aber 1904 wurde es von der James Lane zu den Klärwerken in der Auckland Road geleitet. Die letzte offene Strecke von der West End Avenue bis zur James Lane wurde kurz darauf geschlossen. (Fn. 24) Das vom Phillebrook erodierte Tal (Fn. 25) ist in der Leyton High Road neben den Coronation Gardens zu erkennen, wo einst eine Furt war. Der Bach Dagenham, der von Higham Hill in Walthamstow fließt, teilte Sumpf und Hochland. (Fn. 26) Nördlich der Marsh Lane mündete ein Nebenfluss, der Shortlands-Abwasserkanal, der ebenfalls von Walthamstow fließt, aber weiter westlich. (Fn. 27) Dieser bildete die Grenze zwischen den eingeschlossenen Sumpf- und Lamasgebieten und ist jetzt in den direkt in die Lea fließenden Hochwasserentlastungskanal integriert. Seit der Sperrung des Wasserwerks wurde auch der Bach in die Lea umgeleitet. Die Lea war im 16. Jahrhundert offenbar noch bis Lockbridge gezeitenabhängig. (Fn. 28)

Altsteinzeitliche Geräte und fossile Knochen, die entlang der Kiesterrassen gefunden wurden, zeigen, dass die frühen Menschen in Leyton lebten und jagten. (Fn. 29) Südlich von Blind Lane gab es einen römischen Friedhof, und auf dem Gelände von Leyton Grange wurden massive Fundamente einiger römischer Gebäude mit vielen römischen Ziegeln entdeckt. (Fn. 30) Der High Stone, nahe der östlichen Grenze der Gemeinde an der Kreuzung der Straßen von Woodford und Woodford Bridge, ist ein restaurierter Obelisk aus dem 18. Jahrhundert, der auf einem früheren Baumstumpf errichtet wurde, aber traditionell als römischer Meilenstein beschrieben wird . Es könnte den Standort eines solchen einnehmen, wenn die Römerstraße von Dunmow nach Chigwell nach London weiterging und die Lea auf steinernen Dammwegen überquerte, die in Leyton zwischen Temple Mills und Marsh Lane entdeckt wurden. (Fn. 31) Die Überlieferung erklärt auch, dass Leytonstone der Teil von Leyton ist, der in der Nähe des Hohen Steins lag. (Fn. 32)

Im Jahr 1086 betrug die registrierte Bevölkerung 43. (Fn. 33) Die mittelalterliche Bevölkerung blieb klein. In den Jahren 1523–14 wurden nur 49 Personen, darunter 18 Arbeiter und 10 Diener, mit dem Zuschuss bewertet. (Fn. 34) 1670 gab es in der Gemeinde 83 Häuser, davon 23 in Leytonstone. (Fn. 35) Bis 1778 sollen es über 300 gewesen sein. (Fn. 36) 1801 zählte die Bevölkerung 2.519. (Fn. 37) Abgesehen von einer Zunahme zwischen 1841 und 1851 durch die Errichtung des Arbeitshauses der Union gab es bis in die 1860er Jahre kein ungewöhnliches Wachstum, als sich die Bevölkerung von 4.794 im Jahr 1861 auf 10.394 im Jahr 1871 verdoppelte. Bis 1881 war sie gestiegen auf 23.016 in der bürgerlichen Gemeinde und auf 27.068 im neuen sanitären Stadtbezirk, zu dem die Walthamstow und Wanstead Slips gehörten. Zwischen 1881 und 1891 stieg die Einwohnerzahl des Distrikts um 133,3 Prozent auf 63.056, eine größere proportionale Zunahme als jede andere englische Stadt mit über 50.000 Einwohnern. (Fn. 38) Das rasante Wachstum setzte sich bis 1911 fort, als die Zahl 124.735 betrug und in den nächsten Jahren seinen Höhepunkt erreichte. Im Jahr 1921 wurden 128.430 registriert. Seit 1931 (128.313) ist die Einwohnerzahl auf 105.978 im Jahr 1951 und 93.959 im Jahr 1961 zurückgegangen.

Die Beweise aus dem Domesday deuten darauf hin, dass die Besiedlung im Jahr 1086 hauptsächlich im Zentrum und im Süden von Leyton lag, mit dem dichtesten Waldgebiet im Nordosten. (Fn. 39) Die Schaffung des Haliwell Priory Anwesens im Jahr 1201 förderte wahrscheinlich die Ansiedlung weiter östlich von 'Ladune' (Hollywell, später Holloway Down), während im frühen 14. Jahrhundert ein Weiler in 'Leyton atte Stone' existierte. (Fn. 40) Im späteren Mittelalter, als im Nordosten der Gemeinde Wald gerodet wurde, entstanden die Siedlungen Knotts Green und Diggons Cross, beide 1537 erwähnt. (Fn. 41) Knotts Green bestand vermutlich ursprünglich aus der Einöde zwischen der Leyton High Road und ihrer rechten Gabelung zum Wald (Leyton Green Road). Diggons Cross befand sich wahrscheinlich in der Nähe der Kreuzung der Shernhall Street (Walthamstow) und der Autobahn zum Wald, denn 1454 grenzte Degonesbraches (Diggons 'Lichtungen') nördlich an diese Autobahn an, durch die Leyton-Brücke. (Fn. 42)

Im 18. Jahrhundert, als die Gemeinde zum ersten Mal auf detaillierten Karten gezeigt wurde (Fn. 43), wurden Wallwood und Whitings Grove gerodet, und die Struktur der Gemeinde, so wie sie bis Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts bestand, war vollständig. Im Westen lag unbebautes Marschland, und im äußersten Nordosten lag die Heide und der Wald von Leyton, die Heimat der Wegelagerer. (Fn. 44) Zwei Hauptstraßen, jetzt Leyton High Road und Leytonstone High Road, verliefen ungefähr nach Norden und Süden durch die Gemeinde. Entlang dieser lagen die beiden Hauptsiedlungen, Low Leyton im Westen und Leytonstone im Osten. In Low Leyton, etwa eine Viertelmeile westlich der High Road, stand die Pfarrkirche mit dem Herrenhaus von Leyton Grange daneben. Die High Road, von der lokale Straßen abzweigten, war eine Fortsetzung der Hoe Street (Walthamstow) südlich von Knotts Green und Ruckholts zur Angel Lane, Stratford. Im 18. Jahrhundert war der größte Teil von Knotts Green geschlossen und bildete das Dreieck, das heute von der High Road, der Lea Bridge Road und der Leyton Green Road begrenzt wird. Aber seine nordöstliche Ecke war immer noch öde, und Knights Green (jetzt Leyton Green) an seiner südlichen Spitze war wahrscheinlich auch ein Überbleibsel des ursprünglichen Grüns. Das Dorf Low Leyton lag hauptsächlich entlang der Leyton Street, da die Hauptstraße von der Lea Bridge Road bis zur Moyers Lane normalerweise bekannt war. (Fn. 45) Frog Row, eine Insel mit Cottages, verengt die Landstraße an der Kreuzung mit der Forest (später James) Lane. Weiter südlich gruppierte sich eine Häusergruppe, später Blue Row genannt, gegenüber dem Pfarrhaus und einem großen Ödland, wo die Straße nach Westen zur Kirche abzweigte (Church Road). Das Viertel südlich von Blue Row, wo die Straße den Phillebrook durchquerte, war normalerweise als Phillebrook bekannt. Mehrere Fahrspuren führten ostwärts von der Bundesstraße ab. Die 1537 erwähnte Wide Street (Fn. 46), später auch Wild Street genannt, verlief entlang der Nordseite von Knotts Green, dann als Broad Lane (später Chestnut Walk) bis Whipps Cross weiter: beide sind heute Teil der Lea Bridge Road . Die Broad Lane existierte 1454 und wurde 1649 benannt. (Fn. 47) 1726 wurde sie als „der Spaziergang mit Bäumen“ beschrieben, und an die vor 1814 gepflanzten und in den 1930er Jahren gefällten Kastanien erinnert der Kastanienbaum öffentliches Haus. (Fn. 48) Eine Straße (Leyton Green Road) verband Knights Green mit Chestnut Walk. Forest (oder James) Lane führte von Frog Row nach Buryfield (erwähnt um 1484) (Fn. 49) und Forest House. Etwa 1968 wurde es teilweise in Fletcher Lane umbenannt, um an Mary Fletcher zu erinnern. Moyers oder Wallwood Lane, früher bekannt als Masters Lane (Fn. 50) (heute Hainault Road), führte nach Wallwood und der nahegelegenen Ortschaft Geylewere, die 1449 erstmals erwähnt und bis 1867 in verschiedenen Formen wiederholt wurde. (Fn. 51) The Name kann als Galgenstelle entstanden sein. Westwärts von Knotts Green Butterfield Lane (Welstret 1537 und 1645, manchmal auch Wide oder Wild Street genannt und heute Teil der Lea Bridge Road) (Fn. 52) führte zur Markhouse Lane, die der Weg von Higham Hill, Walthamstow, war. zur Kirche von Leyton und zur High Road. Von dieser Kreuzung aus führte die 1601 erwähnte und 1630 als Jagdweg beschriebene Hemstall Lane westwärts nach Hemstall oder Hemstead Green, wo eine Brücke den Dagenham-Bach überquerte. (Fn. 53) Reste des Grüns blieben 1777 auf beiden Seiten der neuen Lea Bridge Road, die es überquerte, und Einschlüsse davon können auf der Zehntenkarte verfolgt werden. (Fn. 54) Hughes Farm, manchmal Hemstall Green Farm genannt, (Fn. 55) lag südlich der Gasse. Von der Markhouse Lane führte die Church Lane (jetzt Road) nach Süden und Osten zur High Road. Capworth (früher Capport) Street verband Church Lane und Knights Green, eine andere Form, die Copper Street, könnte eine Assoziation mit Copping Down nahelegen, die südlich davon lag. Südlich von Phillebrook führten zwei Straßen von der Landstraße nach Temple Mills ab, eine durch Ruckholts, die andere, Temple Mills Lane, an der Gemeindegrenze.

Die Leytonstone High Road auf der Ostseite der Gemeinde war Teil der Hauptstraße von Epping nach London. Er verließ den Wald beim Green Man Inn (erwähnt 1668) und führte südwärts nach Sauls (später Harrow) Green, Holloway Down und Stratford. Von der Green Man Phipps Cross Lane (Whipps Cross Road), die 1492 erwähnt wurde (Fn. 56), verband Leytonstone mit Whipps Cross. Hinter dem Grünen Mann befand sich eine unappetitliche Gruppe von Hütten namens The Crib (Fn. 57), und südlich davon führte die Back Lane (Browning Road) von der High Road nach Osten in den Wald. Die Häuser des Weilers Leytonstone zogen sich vom Grünen Mann nach Süden. An der Westseite der Bundesstraße befand sich ab Mitte des 18. Jahrhunderts eine Ruhekapelle zur Pfarrkirche. Weitere Häuser säumten Sauls Green weiter südlich und gruppierten sich an der Kreuzung mit der Hollewell Lane. Von Upper Leytonstone führte eine Straße (Church Lane und Grove Green Road) südwestlich durch die Gemeinde nach Grove Green, dann weiter nach Ruckholt und Temple Mills. (Fn. 58) Knaves Lane (Cathall Road) verband Sauls Green und Grove Green. 'Sales' Green wird 1577 (Fn. 59) und Grove Green 1571 erwähnt. (Fn. 60) Hollewell oder Blind Lane (später Union, jetzt Langthorne Road) verband Holloway Down und Leyton High Road. Tinkers Lane (oder Withies, von den Korbweiden, die an den Wanstead-Graben grenzen) (Fn. 61) führte östlich von Sauls Green nach Woodhouse und dem unteren Wald (jetzt Wanstead Flats), der heute als Harrow Road bekannt ist. Weiter nördlich führte ebenfalls eine kurze Straße (Davies Lane) von der Hochstraße in den unteren Wald.

Die Leytonstone High Road war als Verbindung der London-Epping-Route 1594 wichtiger als die Leyton High Road. (Fn. 62) Im 17. Jahrhundert wurden die Bewohner mehrmals in Viertelstunden vorgeführt, weil sie es nicht repariert hatten. (Fn. 63) 1721 wurde sie vom Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Trust übernommen, der sie bis 1866 unterhielt. (Fn. 64) Beide Hauptstraßen beförderten Marktkarren und Waggons. (Fn. 65) Die Straße durch Leytonstone führte auch den Fernbusverkehr (Fn. 66) und 1686 gab es dort 17 Betten für Gäste und Stallungen für 57 Pferde. (Fn. 67)

Der Fuß- und Pferdeverkehr überquerte die Lea nach Hackney, über Lockbridge und die angrenzende Furt nach Clapton und über Temple Mills nach Homerton und Hackney Wick. Lockbridge wird 1486–77 erwähnt. (Fn. 68) 1551 wurde berichtet, dass es abgerissen wurde und dass Lord Wentworth, Herr des Herrenhauses von Hackney, es ausreichend für den Fußgängerverkehr reparieren sollte. (Fn. 69) Sie wurde 1594 von Norden als eine der nützlichsten Brücken in Middlesex aufgeführt (Fn. 70), stürzte jedoch zwischen 1612 und 1630 endgültig ein und wurde durch die Fähre ersetzt, die später als Hackney oder Jeremy's Ferry bekannt wurde. (Fn. 71) Die Furt hieß 1646 noch Lockbridge. (Fn. 72) Vor dem Einsturz von Lockbridge führte ein hölzerner Damm mit 12 Stegen von Blackbridge, der den Shortlands-Kanal westlich von Hemstall Green überquerte, über den Sumpf nach Lockbridge. Im 16. Jahrhundert wurde dieser Damm von George Monoux (gest. 1544) gebaut oder repariert und von Lady Laxton wahrscheinlich um 1580 repariert, als er als Ruine gemeldet wurde. Sie taten dies „aus Nächstenliebe“, da sie selbst kein Land in Leyton hatten. (Fn. 73) Als die Brücken 1611-13 erneut gefährlich verfielen, lehnte der Landkreis die Verantwortung dafür ab, und 1694 blieben nur noch die Ruinen übrig, die im 19. Jahrhundert noch sichtbar waren. (Fn. 74) Jeremys Fähre und eine zweite kleinere Fähre, genannt Smiths Fähre, etwas weiter nördlich, sind auf Karten von 1747–178 gezeigt. (Fn. 75) Da beide mit dem angrenzenden Land dem Herren des Herrenhauses von Hackney gehörten, (Fn. 76) sind Lockbridge und die Fähren wahrscheinlich der Ursprung des Teils von Hackney, der auf der Ostseite des Flusses liegt über der Lea Bridge bis heute. Die Karten zeigen zwei Spuren zu Jeremys Fähre. Die eine, die Water Lane, führte von der Marsh Street in Walthamstow nach Süden und mündete auf dem Weg in eine andere Spur von Low Hall. Die Water Lane durchquerte Walthamstow Marsh, die teilweise in der Gemeinde Leyton lag, Überreste davon blieben im 19. Jahrhundert erhalten. (Fn. 77) Von Leyton führte ein Weg nordwestlich vom Boden der Marsh Lane über Leyton Marsh. Von Hemstall Green ist kein Weg zur Fähre gezeigt. Vielleicht hatte die Gefahr des Ertrinkens in Verbindung mit den erpresserischen Anklagen des Fährmanns die Passagiere aus anderen Gemeinden und Landkreisen, die früher so reisten, nach Stratford abgelenkt. (Fn. 78) Unter dem Lea Bridge Turnpike Act von 1757 wurde die alte Route von Hemstall Green und Blackbridge wiederhergestellt, um Clapton mit der Middlesex und Essex Turnpike Road am Eagle Pond zu verbinden. Jeremys Fähre wurde geschlossen und die nahe Furt zerstört. Lea Bridge wurde gebaut, mit einer Straße über den Sumpf von Hemstall Green zur Markhouse Lane und Butterfield Lane und Broad Lane wurden verbreitert. (fn. 79) In 1802 Leyton and Hackney settled their boundaries in relation to Lea Bridge, the land and buildings just above the bridge on the Leyton side remaining in Hackney, but the centre of the river forming the boundary from the upper side of the bridge southwards, leaving the Horse and Groom to Leyton. (fn. 80) The bridge was replaced in 1821 by an iron one. (fn. 81) On cessation of the turnpike trusts in 1871 the Essex half of the bridge was adopted by the county. (Fn. 82)

There was a less important crossing to Hackney at Temple Mills where a 'common open way for horses' existed in the 1690s. (fn. 83) The bridge over the mill-stream was maintained by the occupants of the mills. (fn. 84) In the present century better communications between South Hackney and Leyton became necessary. (fn. 85) In 1908 the Leyton U.D.C. and Essex county council completed a broad road from Ruckholt Road railway bridge to the Waterworks river, and in 1912 the London county council completed a bridge over the river to meet it. (fn. 86) This bridge, which was vested in the two authorities, became part of the scheme, first recommended in 1915, for an Eastern Avenue leading out of London through Leyton. (fn. 87) The bridge was demolished soon after 1952, when the Waterworks river was filled in and replaced by a roadway. (fn. 88) Plans still existed, however, in 1965 to build an Eastern Avenue extension through Leyton linking Eastway (Hackney) and Ruckholt Road with Cambridge Park. (Fn. 89)

Leyton Bridge, mentioned in 1454, crossed the Phillebrook in Broad Lane. It is not mentioned after 1698. (fn. 90) Marks Bridge crossed the Dagenham brook west of Mark House. (fn. 91)

Road development after 1850 took place within the framework of the ancient road system. The only important new thoroughfare was Francis Road, leading from Leyton High Road to Grove Green Road. (fn. 92) By the 1960s the existing main roads in Leyton were carrying heavy through traffic north-eastwards from London. Improved road junctions had been constructed at Whipps Cross, the Green Man, and Ruckholt Road, but congestion was often severe in the built-up shopping streets, particularly in Leytonstone High Road.

No very ancient building survives in Leyton, and there are no structural remains of the medieval parish church. Moyer House and Cross House, both in Leyton village, may have been medieval but were pulled down early in the 19th century. There was a pre-Dissolution Ruckholt Hall, but in the late 16th century it was replaced by a new one, which was demolished in its turn in the 18th century. The vicarage standing in 1537 was in ruins by 1650. The grange or manor house of Leyton which existed in the 1470s had probably disappeared by the late 1640s. Knotts, and the house at Diggons Cross in 1537, (fn. 93) were both replaced in the 18th century or earlier. Godsalves, occupied about 1547 by Sir John Godsalf, (fn. 94) was a large quadrangular building surrounded by a high wall and moat. By the 18th century it was derelict, its materials robbed to build other houses. One of these was probably the Bowling Green mentioned in 1658. This occupied part of the site before it was inherited about 1756 by Edward Rowe Mores the antiquary and printer who built on it the house in Church Road now known as Etloe House. (fn. 95) Leyton's oldest surviving building, the present Essex Hall, is structurally of the 16th century. (fn. 96) The first Forest House, built between 1537 and 1579, stood little more than 100 years. A Rose inn in Leytonstone is mentioned in 1585. (fn. 97)

No secular building which is known to date from the 17th century has survived in Leyton. Among buildings erected in the later part of the century were a new vicarage, the alms-houses next to the church, and a new Forest House. Lea Hall in Capworth Street, built in 1626, was occupied by Sir Richard Hopkins (d. 1735) and by the Quaker Joseph Hunton, who was hanged for forgery in 1828. It later became a girls school and was a branch of the county lunatic asylum in 1894 shortly before it was pulled down. (fn. 98) Drawings of the garden front suggest that it had been rebuilt or remodelled in the 18th century. (fn. 99) Ive Farm, south of Etloe House, was a two-storeyed brick house, probably built late in the 17th century. It survived, much altered, but retaining its original staircase, to the 1940s. (fn. 100) The Ferry House inn mentioned in 1702 and described as ancient in 1757 probably dated from the collapse of Lockbridge in the earlier 17th century. Later known as the Horse and Groom it was demolished in the 1850s when the waterworks filter beds were built. (fn. 101) Other inns named in the 17th century were the Harrow (1651), Green Man (1668), and Robin Hood (1670), all in Leytonstone. The Robin Hood became the Red Lion by 1766. The Three Blackbirds, Leyton, existed by 1705. (fn. 102) All these have been rebuilt, together with the Bell and the Lion and Key, both mentioned in the 18th century. (fn. 103) The house in Leytonstone High Road called Andrews (fn. 104) became known as Royal Lodge after 1821, when it ceased to be occupied as a school. It was burned down in 1878, rebuilt, and converted into the Rex cinema about 1928. The original Assembly House in Whipps Cross Road, in which London merchants were said to have transacted their business during the plague of 1665, was demolished about 1840 and replaced by a tall redbrick building. (fn. 105)

After the Restoration Leyton became increasingly a 'pretty retiring place from London' for wealthy merchants, bankers, and professional men. (fn. 106) They built fine houses or rebuilt existing ones, and established large households, including the 'blackamoor' servants whose births and burials are entered in the parish registers from 1667 to 1778. (fn. 107) In 1670 of the 83 houses in the parish 19 had 8 or more hearths. (fn. 108) By 1766 some 50 to 60 gentlemen's families were said to be living in the parish. (fn. 109) They included men of intellect and taste, such as the printers William Bowyer the elder (d. 1737) and his son, William (d. 1777), and David Lewis (d. 1760) the poet, and friend of Alexander Pope. (fn. 110)

Most of the large residences were situated on the higher ground in the centre and north of the parish with a particular concentration in Low Leyton village. They stood, often in extensive grounds, at Knotts Green and in High Road, Church Lane, and Capworth Street. At least eight houses in this area were connected at one time with substantial estates, including the manor of Leyton, and are therefore described in another section (fn. 111) of these buildings only Essex Hall and Grove House were still standing in 1970. The only other surviving house of any size is Etloe House in Church Road, which was built C. 1760. At the rear of its three-storeyed central block are sash windows and two full-height bays of the original date. The house was evidently enlarged by the addition of two flanking wings in the early or mid 19th century, perhaps as late as 1856 when Cardinal Wiseman moved there at the same time the front was remodelled in a Tudor style with mullioned windows, embattled parapets, and a porch with Gothic arches. Two turrets with crocketed finials may have been part of the original house which, in 1796, was known as Etloe Place and described as 'whimsical'. (fn. 112) Also in Church Road was Leyton House, which disappeared C. 1910. It was built about 1706 by David Gansel and the elaborate layout of its grounds is shown on Rocque's map. It was a three-storeyed red-brick building with a front of seven bays and a scrolled pediment to the central doorway. The front faced a walled forecourt with entrance gates on the east and two flanking stable blocks. The site is now occupied by the London Electric Wire Works. (fn. 113) Other demolished houses in the area which were largely of 18th-century date were Suffolk House in Capworth Street, and Chingford Hall, Salway House, and Leyton Park (formerly Phillebrook House), all in High Road. In Leyton Green Road were the White House, demolished before the Second World War, and Cedar Lawn, which survived into the 1960s. (fn. 114) No. 669 High Road, a smaller village house, was still standing in 1970 built in the later 18th century it has three ogee-headed 'Gothick' windows to the first floor and a pedimented doorcase between Victorian bay-windows.

Forest House and Wallwood House stood at the edge of the forest on or near the sites of more ancient buildings. Both belonged to large estates and are described elsewhere. (fn. 115) In the 18th century the scenic attractions of the forest led to the building of new residences in this part of the parish. In the extreme north-east corner was the house, later known as Forest Edge or Buxton House, in which Isaac Buxton died in 1782 it had probably been built by his father-in-law, Thomas Fowell. Sir Edward North Buxton lived there in 1840–7. It was demolished shortly before 1939 and blocks of flats have been built on the former garden. (fn. 116) Near by, in a road now called The Forest, two smaller houses of 18th century origin, Marryats Lodge and Gwydir Lodge, are still standing, together with two early 19th-century terrace houses. On the south side of Whipps Cross Road, also overlooking forest land, a row of about twelve middle-class dwellings was built in 1767. (fn. 117) It was known as Assembly Row from the Assembly House at one end of it, and later as Forest Place. Six of the houses (nos. 133, 135, 139, 143, 153, and 155 Whipps Cross Road) survived in an altered form in 1968. They were originally twoand three-storeyed structures of brown brick, some terraced and some detached. They had mansard roofs, dormers, sash windows, pedimented doorways and, in a few cases, two-storeyed projecting bays.

Leytonstone contained fewer large residences than Leyton. One of the earliest was The Pastures in Davies Lane, the larger of Mary Bosanquet's two houses. It was built by Daniel van Mildert about 1686–7 but was remodelled and refaced in the 18th century. It contained staircases of both dates. After bombing in the Second World War it stood derelict until its demolition in the 1960s. The Pastures youth centre now occupies the site. (fn. 118) Park House, in Leytonstone High Road, was used as a branch library from 1908 until it was pulled down in 1934. It was a square three-storeyed building of the early 18th century with rusticated quoins, a modillion eaves-cornice, and a hipped roof. The central doorway had an open segmental pediment with the arms of Parry-Segar in the tympanum. (fn. 119) The elevation to Granleigh Road, which had been given a veranda and a balcony in the earlier 19th century, became the principal entrance front after the railway was constructed near by. Among other 18th-century houses which have now vanished were Dyers Hall, built on a small estate devised to the Dyers Company in 1739 for charitable purposes, (fn. 120) and Leyspring House, burnt down about 1870. (fn. 121) Norlington House was in High Road and Bushwood House stood by the pond near the Green Man. At the north end of High Road, however, a few buildings have survived from the former hamlet. Leytonstone House, now part of a mental hospital, was built C. 1800 and was the home of Thomas Fowell Buxton in 1857. The three-storeyed central block of five bays, which has a modillion cornice and a Doric portico, is flanked by two-storeyed wings like so many Georgian houses in the area, it has fullheight bay-windows at the rear. (fn. 122) To the south a smaller and much altered house of C. 1700 stands at right angles to the road. Farther south again were the grounds of Sycamore House, an 18th-century building with later extensions it was demolished in 1958 (fn. 123) when the Presbyterian Church of Wales was built on the site. On the opposite side of High Road, behind the Green Man, several irregular groups of early-19th-century cottages have survived in Browning Road. Facing High Road was a terrace of three red-brick 18th-century houses with shops built over their front gardens. One, in which Sir Morell Mackenzie was born in 1837, is still standing. Farther south a later and more imposing threestoreyed terrace also has its frontage concealed by modern shops. It consists of three houses, each of five bays, with ground floors of rusticated stucco and central Doric porches.

WALTHAMSTOW (SOUTH), LEYTON, AND WANSTEAD, 1965

A few surviving buildings in the parish date from the period immediately before its rapid mid-19th-century development, including St. John's church, Leytonstone (1833). A typical smaller residence, standing in its own garden, is Gainsborough Lodge in Leytonstone High Road. There are also small houses and cottages in Church Road, Leyton, and near the north-east end of Lea Bridge Road (formerly Chestnut Walk). The main front of the massive West Ham Union workhouse (now Langthorne hospital), built in 1840, (fn. 124) has stone dressings and is surmounted by a balustraded parapet with twin classical urns. In Lea Bridge Road the London Master Bakers' benevolent institution stands round three sides of a court, the fourth side open to the street and bounded by railings with wrought iron gates. It was designed in an elaborate Italianate style by T. E. Knightley and built in stages between 1857 and 1866. (fn. 125) The two-storeyed ranges are of grey brick with stone dressings and contain 52 alms-houses, known as 'villas'. Architectural features include two square turrets at the angles between the ranges, small low-pitched gables, and rows of projecting porches.

Leyton and Leytonstone remained rural until the mid 19th century. (fn. 126) Then came the opening of railways to London with stations at Lea Bridge (1840), Low Leyton and Leytonstone (1856), followed by the provision of other forms of cheap and speedy transport. This coincided with the expansion of opportunities for employment in offices, in industry, and in public undertakings, particularly railways, in London and in neighbouring districts, such as West Ham. The effect was to transform two villages by the end of the 19th century into a suburban dormitory for clerks and workmen mostly employed outside the area. (fn. 127) In contrast, however, to the spread of building over most of the parish, the forest land in the extreme north-east remained largely untouched. Its survival was ensured by the Epping Forest Act of 1878 by which over 200 acres in Leyton were preserved for public use. (fn. 128) This area, with its established trees, ponds, glades, and open spaces, provided ample opportunities for outdoor recreation.

Development began in the district nearest to Lea Bridge station, and included Park Place in Church Road, and an estate laid out by the Freehold Land Society comprising Park, Grange, Shaftesbury, and Carlisle Roads, on which all plots were sold by 1853, and houses built and occupied by 1857. (fn. 129) In 1860 the Grange Park estate was sold to the British Land Co. (fn. 130) comprising roughly the rest of the district bounded by Park, Church, Vicarage, and Thornhill Roads. By 1867 Holloway Down was being laid out and the better-class district between Mornington Road and Leytonstone High Road. (fn. 131) Some of the early Holloway Down development, near the union workhouse and West Ham boundary, was of low standard, soon overcrowded, and insanitary (fn. 132) the worst was demolished by the borough council in the 1960s. In the 1870s building was in progress on the Fillebrook (Wallwood farm) estate, bounded by Hainault, Fairlop, Colworth, and Fillebrook Roads, and on the Leyspring estate also, farther south, on the Leyton Park and Phillebrook farm estates, north of the railway line, and in the Cann Hall district, which was almost entirely built over by 1895. The Cowley (Ruckholt manor) estate was sold off piecemeal from the late 1860s, including land in Grove Green Lane and 31 a. between Leyton railway station and Stratford sold in 1878–81. (fn. 133) Building accelerated on established schemes in the 1880s, and spread as the Great House estate, with 50 a. between Francis Road and Norlington Road, and the Leyton Manor estate (Palamos, Malta, and Waterloo Roads), came on the market. Development of the Wallwood Park estate, bounded by Colworth Road, Forest Glade, and the railway line, slow in the 1880s was completed in the next decade. In the 1890s most of the remaining estates were sold, including Dyers Hall, Lea Hall, (fn. 134) The Poplars, Moyer, and the Bourne nursery ground. In 1898 the Barclay Park sale made available another 100 a. Among the last developments, in the early 1900s, were the Forest Lodge (fn. 135) and Etloe House estates, the Warner estate west of Markhouse Road, and the site of the Great House itself (1905). In 1912 only 250 a. of undeveloped building land remained, mainly represented by the Barclay Park estate and Fraser's Lea Bridge nursery ground. These remained undeveloped until the 1920s. (fn. 136)

Beyond the fringe of all this speculative development a bungalow town of 69 shacks, with wells and earth closets, and a wooden mission church, sprang up in the 1880s at Lea Bridge Gardens, west of Lea Bridge station. (fn. 137) The occupants reared ducks and grew vegetables. These buildings were demolished in the 1930s and the site is now mainly industrial.

By 1903 little remained apart from the forest to recall 'leafy Leyton's' former character, though the district council tried to restore it by mobilizing the unemployed to plant thousands of trees in the new streets in 1909–11. (fn. 138) Only the council's recreation grounds, and the Drapers Ground, a disused brickfield laid out in 1894 as a playing field for their school by the Drapers Company, relieved the prevailing monotony of brick. (Fn. 139)

Once speculative development had begun, Leyton ceased to attract wealthy residents in search of rural seclusion. As a result there are no Victorian or Edwardian mansions in the area. The new houses were mainly yellow-brick two-storey terraces and villas, ranged in rows, their bow-windows and doorways freely ornamented with mass-produced cement foliage and tracery. The elaboration of the Red Lion inn and shops, designed by W. D. Church in 1890, (fn. 140) exemplifies on a larger scale the ornate features popular with the terrace builders. Retail shops, which became increasingly necessary for the growing population, were almost entirely confined to the main thoroughfares, long stretches of which were built up as shopping streets in the later 19th century. The new frontages were of two or three storeys with shops on the ground floor and living accommodation for their owners above. Later, as demand grew, residential terraces were brought into use, shops being built over their small front gardens. Public buildings dating from this period include the first town hall (1882), of yellow brick, with a corner clock-tower, now a library, and the present town hall (1896), designed by J. Johnson. This vivid red-brick building, with Portland stone bands and dressings, was said to be in the 'English Renaissance' style. (fn. 141) Whipps Cross hospital, then the Union infirmary, was completed in 1903. The Carnegie Library in Lea Bridge Road (1906), and girls high school in Colworth Road (1911) were designed by W. Jacques. The most striking churches built at this time were All Saints, Capworth Street (1864), the Mary Fletcher Memorial Methodist church (1877), St. Andrew's, Forest Glade (1887), Gainsborough Bridge Primitive Methodist church (1902), and St. George's Presbyterian church (1893), Hainault Road.

During the First World War about 1,300 houses were damaged by bombing during airship raids in 1915–16. (fn. 142) Though there was little building between the two wars, notable new buildings included Leyton high school for boys in Essex Road (1929), Connaught Road school (1932), the High Road baths (1934), Emmanuel church (1934–5), and the Christian Science church (1937). During the Second World War hardly a house in Leyton escaped damage. (fn. 143) After 1945 municipal redevelopment began on vacant and cleared sites. (fn. 144) First schemes provided houses and bungalows of conventional design, such as those in the Borthwick Road and Ellingham Road area, or three- and four-storey blocks of flats such as Beaumont House (1947), Mills Court (1950), and Thornhill Gardens (1955). Villiers Close (1957) represented a new approach, grouping varied blocks in one development. The eleven-storey Slade Tower, completed in 1961 as part of the Leyton Grange development, was the first outcome of the council's new decision to build upward at higher population densities. The Slade Tower was followed by others, which now dominate the surrounding streets to a height of up to 17 storeys. The Beaumont Road development, under construction in 1965, comprised 444 dwellings in mixed blocks, including bungalows, grouped around the multi-storey All Saints Tower.

Public buildings completed after 1945 include the Harrow Green branch library, George Tomlinson primary school, and Ruckholt Manor school. The only modern church of note is the Welsh Presbyterian church in Leytonstone High Road.

In 1693 the parish was subsidizing a local stage coach. (fn. 145) In 1707 a stage coach service linked Leyton and Walthamstow. (fn. 146) By the late 18th century several coaches a day passed through the parish. (fn. 147) In 1839 five coaches ran daily to London from Leyton, and the Wanstead, Epping, Harlow, and Clare coaches stopped at Leytonstone. (fn. 148) The Northern and Eastern railway line from Stratford to Broxbourne opened in 1840 with a station at Lea Bridge, (fn. 149) and the Eastern Counties (later Great Eastern) branch line from Stratford to Loughton with stations at Leyton and Leytonstone in 1856. (fn. 150) The Midland railway's Tottenham and Forest Gate branch, crossing the parish from north-west to south-east, with stations in Leyton and Leytonstone was opened in 1894. (fn. 151) In 1947 the line from Stratford through Leytonstone to Woodford was electrified, as an extension of the Central London line. (fn. 152)

The North Metropolitan Tramways Co. in 1874 built tramcar construction works in Union Road, connected with the company's system at Stratford by a short length of horse tramway in Leytonstone High Road. (fn. 153) This was extended to the Green Man in 1878. The company used this route to experiment, in 1877 with the Merryweather steam tram, in 1881 with a car driven by the Beaumont compressed air engine, and in 1882 with an electric tram run on a battery. (Fn. 154)

The Lea Bridge, Leyton and Walthamstow Tramways, incorporated in 1881, opened a single-line horse tram service along Lea Bridge Road in 1883. (fn. 155) Though the promoters failed in 1885, the undertaking was bought in 1888 by a new Lea Bridge, Leyton and Walthamstow Tramways Co., incorporated in 1889, and empowered to operate also down Leyton High Road to the railway station. By 1890 trams were operating from Lea Bridge to the Rising Sun in Woodford New Road, and from the Bakers Arms to the Great Eastern railway station. (fn. 156) Under powers obtained in 1898 and amplified in 1904 (fn. 157) the district council in 1905 took over the Lea Bridge company's undertaking, and in 1906 the portion in the district of the North Metropolitan company's, though not their tramcar works. The council's whole system was electrified in 1906–7. (fn. 158) In 1910 the council made joint arrangements with the L.C.C. and other authorities for through tram services, and from 1921 to 1933 their tramways were operated by the L.C.C. (fn. 159)

A horse bus service between Walthamstow and Stratford via Leyton High Road was introduced in 1889. (fn. 160) It was replaced in 1905 by a motor bus service, run from 1906 by the Great Eastern London Motor Omnibus Co. The company built a bus garage at Leyton Green in 1906, when a new service was started from the Bakers Arms to Oxford Circus via Lea Bridge Road. The London General Omnibus Co., which had also established motor bus routes between London and the Bakers Arms by 1908, took over the Great Eastern in 1911, and rebuilt and enlarged the Leyton Green depot in 1912. (fn. 161) In 1933 the buses and trams were taken over by the London Passenger Transport board. (fn. 162) Conversion of the tramways to trolley bus working was completed in 1939. (fn. 163) Since 1952 omnibuses have replaced trolley buses. (fn. 164)

In 1692 letters were collected and delivered at Low Leyton once daily by the London Penny Post's footpost. (fn. 165) By 1794 there was a receiving house with three daily deliveries, also a sorting office. (fn. 166) The Munn family, grocers in Leyton Street, were receivers continuously from before 1832 until about 1878. (fn. 167) In 1856 Leyton became a sub-office in the north eastern district, later merged with the eastern district. (fn. 168) The sub-office at Leyton Green in 1863 was known as the 'higher office'. (fn. 169) The sorting office at no. 713 High Road was established C. 1893 (fn. 170) in 1917 Leyton became the E.10 London delivery district. (fn. 171) As the number of sub-offices increased, to 11 by 1926, the Leyton Green office continued to be termed the 'higher office', (fn. 172) but there was no branch office until 1934 when the present one was built in Lea Bridge Road. (fn. 173) A telegraph service was available by 1870. (fn. 174) The National Telephone Co. extended their system to Leyton in 1892 (fn. 175) and had opened an exchange by 1906. (fn. 176) The district is now served by the Leytonstone exchange.

In Leytonstone letters were collected and delivered in 1692 once daily. (fn. 177) There was a receiving house by 1794. (fn. 178) In 1856 Leytonstone was assigned to the north eastern (later eastern) district. (fn. 179) There was still only one sub-office in 1870, but another had opened at Harrow Green by 1874. (fn. 180) About 1912 a branch office was opened at no. 801 High Road this remained the urban district's only branch office until 1934. (fn. 181) Soon after 1964 it was replaced by an office at no. 783 High Road. (fn. 182) Since about 1939 there has also been a branch office in Cathall Road, Harrow Green. (fn. 183) A sorting office, established in Church Lane in 1883, (fn. 184) moved to its present site in Fillebrook Road about 1912. (fn. 185) In 1917 Leytonstone became the E.11 delivery area. (fn. 186) Telegraph facilities were available by 1870. (fn. 187) The National Telephone Co. opened the Leytonstone exchange in 1908 (fn. 188) it was taken over by the G.P.O. in 1912. (fn. 189)

Leyton has been the birthplace or home of many notable persons. Some are mentioned in the sections which follow others are listed in another volume. (fn. 190) Lady Margaret Bryan, governess to the children of Henry VIII, died at Leyton. (fn. 191) Thomas Lodge, (d. 1625) a leading physician, lived there (fn. 192) and Sir Morrell Mackenzie (d. 1892), the throat specialist, was born at Leytonstone, where his father, Stephen, practised as a surgeon. (fn. 193) The poet and dramatist John Drinkwater (d. 1937) was born in Leytonstone. (fn. 194) Among the more unusual of Leyton's worthies was John Henry Pepper (d. 1900), the illusionist, exhibitor of 'Pepper's Ghost'. Thomas Bowdler (d. 1856), Shakespeare's expurgator, was curate at Leyton in 1803. William Cotton Oswell (grandson of Joseph Cotton), accompanied Livingstone in his search for the Great Lake, and was with him in 1851 when the Zambesi was sighted.

In the 19th century the Lea was popular for boating, fishing, and bathing several rowing clubs existed by 1880. (fn. 195) The Eastern Mercury, founded in 1887, paid special attention to sport, including football, cricket, cycling, and lacrosse. (fn. 196) Organized football was introduced in 1859, when the Forest Association football club was formed, playing its first games in Leytonstone on the forest adjoining Wanstead orphanage asylum. Among amateur clubs Leyton football club dates from 1868 and Leytonstone F.C. from 1886. The professional club, Clapton Orient, founded in 1881, moved to Leyton to the Brisbane Road stadium in 1936–7, and became known as Leyton Orient. (fn. 197) The Essex county cricket club in 1886 bought a permanent ground in Leyton High Road, where they played until it was sold in 1933. It is still a sports ground. Leyton cricket club, in existence by 1895, was by 1906 one of the strongest in Essex and a nursery for the county team. (fn. 198) In 1906–7 there were 20 cricket and football clubs in Leyton and in 1931 15 cricket clubs, over 20 football clubs, and a number of tennis, netball, swimming, athletics, cycling, motoring, and gymnastics clubs. (fn. 199) Since 1905 the Hollow pond, deepened by the unemployed, has been used for sailing model yachts, boating, and skating. (Fn. 200)

In 1806 a Women's Union society was meeting at the Red Lion. (fn. 201) By 1897 many societies existed, including masonic lodges, literary, camera, choral, orchestral, and phrenological societies. (fn. 202) They met in public houses, church halls, or schools, and, from 1896, in municipal halls, (fn. 203) of which there were six in 1965. (fn. 204) In 1955 there were over 50 societies in the district. (fn. 205) Three picture palaces were built in 1910–11. (fn. 206) One of Leytonstone's cinemas in 1917 was also a skating rink. (fn. 207) By 1932 there were eight cinemas one of these, the Rex, in Leytonstone High Road, was converted to a bowling alley about 1962. (fn. 208) A Leyton Eisteddfod was organized by the public library committee from 1924 to 1939. (fn. 209) In 1947 Leyton took the lead among London boroughs pressing for more extensive permissive powers for local authorities in the entertainment field these, as a result, became incorporated in the Local Government Act, 1948. (fn. 210)


Aftermath

The attack caught American military personnel by surprise and was certainly costly, but it did not cripple the U.S. Navy as the Japanese had anticipated. By a stroke of luck, the three American aircraft carriers stationed at Pearl Harbor were not there on the morning of December 7th. Die USS Lexington, the USS Unternehmen, und die USS Saratoga had been sent on missions during the days before. Aircraft carriers are larger and more difficult to build than other ships, and their survival would prove vital during the Pacific War.

President Roosevelt, wearing a black armband, signs the declaration of war against Japan on December 8, 1941

On December 8th, President Roosevelt gave a speech in which he famously called the attack on Pearl Harbor “a date which will live in infamy,” while Congress quickly passed a declaration of war on Japan. Three days later, Germany and Italy declared war on the United States. The War Department completely reorganized itself, as key positions shifted to various trusted officers in order to prepare for the new conflict.

Prior to Pearl Harbor, the United States had sent large amounts of financial aid and military equipment to the Allied cause. The Japanese attack launched the U.S. into a complete struggle against Axis powers and brought American soldiers into the war for the first time. It also united the country, as a Gallup poll conducted during the days after Pearl Harbor showed that 97% of Americans approved of the declaration of war.

Thousands of young men rushed to serve in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. EIN New York Times article from December 9th reported that the armed forces were “receiving applicants in numbers unprecedented in the history of the nation” and that “many of the men had been in line [at recruiting stations] the whole night.” Die Zeiten added the next day that the Army had received 2,684 applications in the two days since declaring war on Japan.

Pearl Harbor also had a marked effect on the Manhattan Project. The S-1 Committee, which ran atomic research prior to the creation of the Manhattan Project, formally held its first meeting on December 18, 1941. This meeting initiated an official shift from the research to the development phase of the project. As S-1 official James Conant noted, “The atmosphere was charged with excitement – the country had been at war nine days, an expansion of the S-1 program was now an accomplished matter. Enthusiasm and optimism reigned” (Rhodes 398).


A Brief History of Pi ( π )

Pi ( π ) has been known for almost 4000 years—but even if we calculated the number of seconds in those 4000 years and calculated π to that number of places, we would still only be approximating its actual value. Here’s a brief history of finding π .

The ancient Babylonians calculated the area of a circle by taking 3 times the square of its radius, which gave a value of pi = 3. One Babylonian tablet (ca. 1900–1680 BC) indicates a value of 3.125 for π , which is a closer approximation.

Die Rhind Papyrus (ca.1650 BC) gives us insight into the mathematics of ancient Egypt. The Egyptians calculated the area of a circle by a formula that gave the approximate value of 3.1605 for π .

The first calculation of π was done by Archimedes of Syracuse (287–212 BC), one of the greatest mathematicians of the ancient world. Archimedes approximated the area of a circle by using the Pythagorean Theorem to find the areas of two regular polygons: the polygon inscribed within the circle and the polygon within which the circle was circumscribed. Since the actual area of the circle lies between the areas of the inscribed and circumscribed polygons, the areas of the polygons gave upper and lower bounds for the area of the circle. Archimedes knew that he had not found the value of π but only an approximation within those limits. In this way, Archimedes showed that π is between 3 1/7 and 3 10/71.

A similar approach was used by Zu Chongzhi (429–501), a brilliant Chinese mathematician and astronomer. Zu Chongzhi would not have been familiar with Archimedes’ method—but because his book has been lost, little is known of his work. He calculated the value of the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter to be 355/113. To compute this accuracy for π , he must have started with an inscribed regular 24,576-gon and performed lengthy calculations involving hundreds of square roots carried out to 9 decimal places.

Mathematicians began using the Greek letter π in the 1700s. Introduced by William Jones in 1706, use of the symbol was popularized by Leonhard Euler, who adopted it in 1737.

An eighteenth-century French mathematician named Georges Buffon devised a way to calculate π based on probability. You can try it yourself at the Exploratorium's Pi Toss exhibit.

Shown: Thomas Degeorge (1786–1854), The Death of Archimedes (detail), 1815. Collection of the Musée d’Art Roger-Quilliot Museum [MARQ], City of Clermont-Ferrand, France.


Schau das Video: DIE DEUTSCHE WOCHENSCHAU, NO. 699, 1944